- Lecturer, DRS Honours course Convenor, Short Course Facilitator & ResearcherTrish has an MA cum laude in Geography & Environmental Studies from the University of Cape Town and is currently registered for a PhD in Geography & Environmental Studies with a sub-specialisation in Disaster Risk Studies at the University of Stellenbosch where she has been teaching since 2011. She has spent many years working among low income communities, particularly in informal settlements and has a passion for community—based research and outreach activities, often working in collaboration with partners external to the University. Her research interests include urban risk and vulnerability as well as livelihood studies. As part of the RADAR team she has been involved in extensive ex-post disaster studies in the Western Cape region. She also conducts regular short courses for practitioners on disaster risk topics
- Tel: 021 808 9282
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: Room 1030A, Chamber of Mines Building, Stellenbosch University
- MA cum laude (Environmental and Geographical Science), University of Cape Town, 2006
- BaHons (Geographical Information Systems for spatial analysis and decision-making), University of Stellenbosch, 2002
- BA cum laude (Geography and Anthropology), University of South Africa, 2001
Publications, Articles and Research
Gina Ziervogel1, 2, Mark Pelling3, Anton Cartwright4, Eric Chu5, Tanvi Deshpande6, Leila Harris,7 Jean Kaunda8, Benjamin Klaus9, Kavya Michael6, Lorena Pasquini1,2, Robyn Pharoah10, Lucy Rodina7, Di Scott1 and Patricia Zweig10 Inserting rights and justice into urban resilience: a focus on everyday risk. (Under review)
Walls, R. & Zweig, P. Towards sustainable slums: understanding fire engineering in informal settlements. (Pending publication).
Zweig, P. 2016. Lost in space? Considering young men as drivers of urban informal settlement risk. Urban Forum. 10.1007/s12132-016- 9292016-9292- x
Pharoah, R., Holloway, A., Fortune, G, Chapman, A., Schaber, E. & Zweig, P. (2016) OFF the RADAR: Synthesis Report. High Impact Weather Events in the Western Cape, South Africa 2003 – 2014. For the Provincial Disaster Management Centre, Western Cape by Research Alliance for Disaster and Risk Reduction, Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, Stellenbosch
Zweig, P. 2015. Community risk assessment and disaster mitigation: Case studies from Philippi informal settlements In State/society synergy in Philippi, Cape Town. African Centre for Cities, University of Cape Town.
Zweig, P. 2015. Everyday hazards and vulnerabilities among backyard dwellers: A case study of Vredendal North, Matzikama Municipality, South Africa. Jamba Journal of Disaster Studies 7(1).
Holloway A., Chasi V., de Waal J., Drimie S., Fortune G., Mafuleka G., Morojele M., Penicela Nhambiu B., Randrianalijaona M., Vogel C. & Zweig P., 2013. ‘Humanitarian Trends in Southern Africa: Implications for programming’. For the Regional Interagency Standing Committee.
Holloway, A., Fortune, G., Zweig, P., Barrett, L., Benjamin, A., Chasi, V. & de Waal, J. 2012. Eden and Central Karoo Drought Disaster 2009 - 2011; “The Scramble for Water.” For the Provincial Disaster Management Centre, Western Cape.
Holloway, A., Fortune, G., Chasi, V., Beckman, T., Pharoah, R., Poolman, E., Punt, C. and Zweig, P., 2010. RADAR Western Cape 2010: Risk and development annual review. PeriPeri Publications.